FAQ – Italian As A Second Language

Where are Comune di Milano (City of Milan) Italian courses held?

Via Fleming 15, tel. 02.88441458

Viale Murillo 17, tel. 02.88440133

Via Pepe 40, tel 02.88448421

Corso XXII Marzo 59, tel. 02.88465554/5


When do they start?

With the exception of the summer months – June, July and August – they are held throughout the year. However, most courses start at the end of September/beginning of October.


How are they organised?

The courses are arranged in modules of 60 hours. The length of each course depends on the number of weekly hours (see table).

Most courses are held either twice or three times weekly.

Some Centres organise weekly courses of 8 or 10 or 12 hours. Check our website www.lingueincomune.it or contact the individual centres.

hours per week number of weeks number of months length of course number of hours Fee
4 hours per week 15 4 1) September-February

2) February-June

60 € 95
6 hours per week 10 3 1) September-December

2) January-March

3) March-June

8 hours per week 8 2,5 1) September-December

2) December-February

10 hours per week 6 2 1) September-November

2) November-December


What times are the lessons?

You may find the full timetable of courses in Italian as a Second Language on this website page, by clicking Italiano -“Corsi,orari e data inizio”. Courses are held from 9.00 a.m. until 7.30 p.m., mainly in the morning and early evening.


How much do they cost?

Each module costs € 95.00 which includes the final test but not the textbook (prices range €15-€30).


Why do the courses have such competitive prices?

The cost of the courses is almost completely subsidised by Comune di Milano (City of Milan ) to give non-Italians a chance to enrol in our adult education courses.


Who can enrol?

You must be at least 18 years old with a knowledge of the Latin Alphabet. See below for the ID required.


Do I need any specific documents to enrol?

Some form of identification (passport, national identity card etc) is required, and for those from outside the EU a Stay Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) or proof of application for this /visa is needed. Documents must be valid for the entire period of the course attended.

And if you already have one, an Italian tax number (codice fiscale).


How many students are there in each class?

From a minimum of 10 to a maximum of 18, depending on the size of the classrooms.


How do I enrol?

Follow these steps:

>> If you never studied Italian

You can choose one of our courses for absolute beginners called “level A1”. You will find the timetable of the courses at this link: formami.comune.milano.it/lingua-italiano-per-stranieri/

1. register on the Municipality website at this link: http://formami.comune.milano.it/area-riservata

2. book an appointment with the School/Sede with the form “Prenotazioni” or contact the Secretariat of the chosen school (by phone or email) to book an appointment to enroll.

Absolute beginners usually do not have to take the test; a brief interview with the teacher will do.


>> If you studied Italian before

In order to choose the course that best suits your knowledge, you need to take the free entry test in one of our Schools/Sede.

1. register on the Municipality website at this link: http://formami.comune.milano.it/area-riservata

2. wait for the confirmation on the email address you used to register (also check the spam folder)

3. now, with your account, book the test, click on “Prenotazioni” TEST ITALIANO and choose a School/Sede, a date and a time among those available.

4. show up at school for the test on the set date.

If you do not find any dates for the appointments, it means that there are no registrations at that time: you can contact the schools to find out when they will open.


How do I pay?

You may pay at school by a credit or debit card, or in any Post Office using the receipt of payment slip provided by the Centre and returned to the Centre within three days. Cash payment is not accepted.


Are the lessons in the “principiante assoluto” course held in Italian?

From the outset Italian is the language used in all our courses.


How many levels are there?

There are 10 levels. From “principiante assoluto” (level A1) to “avanzato” (level C2) which reflect the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2.


As an absolute beginner how long will it take me to reach A2 level?

That’s really up to you and how you apply yourself. However, a 6-hour weekly course should take six months while a 4-hour weekly course should take eight.


Can I move up a level on completing the previous one?

Yes, of course. At the end of each module there is a test to move on to the next one. When possible courses are usually scheduled at similar times to the level just completed.


Could I skip a level if my Italian gets better?

Yes, you can, but you’ll need to speak with your teacher, usually at the beginning of a new academic year.


Can I obtain some form of certificate?

On request, we will provide you with a certificate of enrolment and certificate of attendance; on passing a test at the end of a module you will be given a statement indicating the level attained.


Can I take the CILS examination while attending the courses?

Yes. Students from levels 4 through 10 may, if they so wish, apply for the summer session of the exam. This must be done by the end of March,an examination fee must be paid, and the exam is held at our Centre at Viale Murillo, 17 at the beginning of June.

For any other session (February, April, July or December) you will need to contact other exam Centres in Italy.

CILS certification is issued by Università per Stranieri di Siena, and are made available in November.


Do the courses allow me to apply for a Student’s Stay Permit (permesso di soggiorno per studio)?

No, they don’t. To obtain one the minimum number of weekly hours required is 20.


Can I use the level A2 certificate to request a long-term Stay Permit?

No, you can’t. Certificates issued by our Centres are not valid in this case. Please refer to the websites relating to CPIA (Centri Provinciali per l’Istruzione degli Adulti), Università per Stranieri di Siena e di Perugia, or Società Dante Alighieri.


If for some reason I can’t attend the course I have enrolled in and paid for, is there some way I can obtain a refund?

No, unfortunately not. Fees are only refunded when a planned course can no longer be held.